Evolution Of The Company
Since 1984, Assaí Consult has designed and implemented more than 300 projects in the Asia Pacific region and Australia.
Formerly Pacific Architecture, Assaí was originally a culturally-sensitive architecture and contracts management company. Over the past 25 years, we have evolved into a professional services firm that provides design, project management, capacity building and human resource solutions across two core areas:
- Social Infrastructure for Development, in both International Development and Indigenous Australia
- Evaluation for Social Change
Assaí Consult maximises local resources and capabilities, from the planning stage to project implementation.
While searching for a new name we stumbled upon the image of an unfolding palm leaf. This image signified the development of order from chaos, an organic approach to design principles and helping people’s ideas unfold in a sustainable yet aesthetic way.We researched various words and meanings to articulate our idea – and chose the name Assaí Consult. The name has several meanings relevant to our work:
- The Assaí palm, native to South America, is primarily cultivated for its edible heart (the ‘palmetto’). At Assaí Consult, we work with heart as well as mind and hand.
- In Italian, ‘assai’ means ‘enough’ or ‘sufficient’. Assaí Consult keeps in mind the essence of both economy and sustainability.
- The word ‘assai’ shares the same root as ‘asset’ – we like this connection because we work with the physical assets of culture – buildings, landscape, infrastructure, and technologies.